Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Keen Art of Texan Hiberni-Kaner



Hiberni-Kaner is the name I have coined to define my accent here in Singapore. It's the perfect combination of an Irish (Hibernian) accent combined with a Welsh/Afrikaner accent for use locally. I always speak Hiberni-Kaner to Asians, even my co-workers. I use it in shops, bars, cabs, traveling, and even with my security team at my flat. I've fooled countless Europeans, both British and Dutch, and I even fooled an Irishman in Thailand once. I fooled a Canadian at lunch the other day. My Aussie friends love it and some have said it approaches an Australian accent (I am honored!). I can turn it on and off effortlessly, reverting to Texan at the flip of a switch. I figured that I needed to adopt an accent for local use and the Australians and British have had the longest and most profound influence on Singaporean society so I like to think that Hiberni-Kaner pays them both the best respect.
I am not afraid to use my Hiberni-Kaner. In fact, I enjoy using it to some extent. In Thailand I safely passed it off for 5 days! Note the pic above where I'm sporting my Irish Rugby shirt in Thailand while hanging with fellow Texan Brent Wright (aka Scott Glenn) at the Aussie Bar in Phuket. Talk about an amalgamation of Hiberni-Kaner, Australia, and Texas! =)

I left a voicemail for my American friend Arthur "Artman" James the other day and I literally forgot to turn off my Hiberni-Kaner. He texted me back asking if I had joined the Colonies or something?!?! I guess I gave him an earful? I realized that while I was leaving the VM that I was in a taxi and I didn't want to turn it off since I had already spoken Hiberni-Kaner to the taxi-man and, as you'll read from past blogs, even though he's behind the wheel...I'm driving!! My other American friend, Amanda B in Vegas said she wants me to record it for her so she can hear it. She just got a movie role largely based on her Texas accent and her ability to kick major ass (congrats by the way!) so she was interested to hear how I throw out Hiberni-Kaner.

When locals ask what country I am from I am quick to tell them I am from Texas, not from the US. In Asia, being a Texan commands a higher level of respect and fearsome prowess than just being an American, presumably because we Texans were a stand alone country before we were annexed by the Union and our western bravado has been countlessly romanticized around the planet to great reception (Hollywood's token quality export).

I get the sense that the while the world has its issues with the US, the planet largely respects Texas. I think it is our hardened independence, wildcat ways, and fearless adventureism which are our common characteristics and other countries seem to acknowledge this with some modicum of well deserved honor. The Alamo, Texas Rangers, SpindleTop, and Howard Hughes are probably our best known exports to the non-Texan world that help invigorate this reverence. I'm sure that Jim Bowie, JR from "Dallas", Matthew McConaughey, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lyndon Johnson, Buddy Holly, Wiley Post, Bonnie & Clyde, Michael DeBakey, and Western films such as "The Alamo" and "El Dorado" have helped to fuel our mystique and solidify our economy of words and our proponence for action.

With the current wake of Chuck Norris-isms, you can hardly deny that "Walker, Texas Ranger" with its infintessimal syndication across the planet in some 70 countries and 100 languages/dialects, hasn't helped to some extent. I know they made Chuck an honorary 'Reserve' Texas Ranger and issued him a badge. I have no doubt that, despite his Sputnik-like hewn coif and pinhead antics, Governor Rick Perry has seen fit to further honor Chuck's right leg as an honorary citizen of the Lone Star State.

I am just happy that the likes of bad AM radio songs from Mac Davis, John Hinckley Jr's botched assassniation of Ronald Reagan, Mark David Chapman's successful assassination of John Lennon, and the birth of Night Stalker killer Richard Ramirez haven't completely tarnished our image. =)

No comments: